The first hole (par4) is a very tough opener, particuarly for the shorter hitter as they are unable to cut the dog leg, as the hole moves sharply to the right. Image (530x350): Heading: The lovely white barn and house sit off to the right. In nearly all national ratings Somerset Hills has not just been rated in various top 100 polls -- but often in the top 50. Now I would place it nearly 100 places higher. The green is fronted by two deep bunkers to a “hot-air balloon” green with its narrow opening. Par 4 – 460/429. If the hole is lengthened, one wants to replicate this green complex because it is a good one. Par 4 – 415/393. In any event, it is a good golf hole and makes “perfect” use of the pond, woods, and change in terrain. 15 is a terrfic par 4 which again gives the player to bend his drive around the corner or else play to the bend, the green is set in a ajestic location, surrounded by a backdrop of trees and guarded in front by a brisk moving stream, 16 is another top notch par 3, requiring a medium iron to a green set along the bottom of a ridge, which again slopes sharply from back to front. Filed Under: Featured , Meetings , News For one hundred years, tennis “whites” have graced the grass courts of Somerset Hills. . Somerset Hills is another A.W Tillinghast masterpiece. What a lovely walk with no two holes even similar to each other with what kind of feels like butterfly wings routing that constantly changes directions and challenges your entire bag. It has two distinctly different sets of nine. Add a very friendly, low key club to an amazing course and you have a perfect old world golf experience. The green is completely surrounded by bunkers, six in all and is odd-shaped with a back left bulge. I do not find the tee shot to be very interesting but the approach into a magnificent green complex make this a compelling golf hole. From the fairway this appears to be an infinity green. The 205-yard, par-3 2nd at Somerset Hills Country Club in Bernardsville, N.J. Everything about the place is understated, the clubhouse , the entrance, even the pro shop is petite, if you were to drive past you would be hard pushed to notice that one of the world's greatest courses was in front of you. The left mound has two bunkers built into it and another bunker left of that. #pro. The front nine has some wonderfully contoured greens, and though many tee shots require... Outside of the Sandhills region, Greensboro arguably boasts more breadth and depth of g... Having this course on the top 100 list and leaving out North New Jersey's finest -. As I sat there I called on my memories of the great courses in Scotland and found myself agreeing with this comment in some regards such as at Cruden Bay, Nairn, Castle Stuart, St. Andrews Old (excluding the town setting), Kingsbarns, North Berwick West, Machrihanish Old, Gullane #1 or #2….yet when I think of Trump Turnberry Ailsa, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Royal Troon Old….well, isn’t it great to have a U.S. inland golf course bring to mind the great courses in Scotland? The fairway sweeps down towards a large like before turning 90degrees to the right with a green placed on the side of the large lake.The golfer can fade the driver leaving only a short approach of some 120 yards, or take the conservative option of a 3 wood,playing to the left leaving a considerably longer second shot. The 10th is a soft par 5, which presents an interesting tee shot requiring a power fade or towering draw to evade the encroaching trees. Somerset Hills Country Club, located in Bernardsville, New Jersey, is ranked No. This is the only non-original green on the golf course as the green needed to be re-routed from a spot well short of the current location. It is a difficult par despite the large size of the green. Many rave about this downhill par 4 to a near 90 degree dogleg right back up a hill to another plateau green. “Deception” used to be a trickier hole as there was a tree that was closer to the green that one had to consider. After the tee shot, about halfway to the hole on the left is a small bunker. The 13th contains a nice variation of a Biarritz green, which can throw up some very interesting hole locations. While the hole is named “despair,” no matter how you played it, you will soon forget your score when looking at that view. There are also two bunkers placed on the back left. Between the central bunker and the left bunker is a substantial depression where one’s ball can nestle into some of the tallest greenside rough. The difficulty for most players is the possibility of a hanging lie for their approach shot. Getting everything right at a golf club is more art than science, but at Somerset Hills they have it all figured out. There is a pronounced back to front tilt on this green where balls hit almost to the middle of the green will fall back into the bunkers. While I do not hold this par 4 in the same class as several on the front nine, it is a very interesting hole. The nines are like chalk and cheese, and I feel both compliment each other as opposed to one being inferior to the other. When you stand on the first tee at SHCC, what you are immeaditely struck by is the vast open expanse that lies in front of you, with strips of fairway meandering across the rolling (hills) landscape, bordered by fescue ans sparse foliage. I am not suggesting two long par-4's should have been included but given the series of holes one plays from #11 to #16 you feel like the moviegoer who has enjoyed all that has happened but feels the ending could have been a tad better. However, I think the play from the left side of the fairway is also fine if one can see where the pin is as you know you have to hit the front right of the green. Picking a par-3 for a favorite hole is problematic. 1985-43171 See other reviews from Doug Roberts. The big hitters will hit to the bottom of the hill leaving a short to mid-iron to the green. It is one of the largest greens on the course and due to the undulations has numerous options for the pin. Nick, Respond to above review  1 person found this review helpful Perhaps the weakest hole on the golf course, the “Nairn” hole plays gently downhill. The long par-3 8th is an extremely challenging hole. The fairway is wide and with just one bunker on the right. Unlike North Berwick West’s wonderful (and first) redan, at Somerset Hills you can see what you need to do on this redan whereas at North Berwick it is a blind shot. 8. 5. 4. 15th Hole at Somerset Hills Country Club (407 Yard Par 4) Best Par 5: 6th Hole – 501 Yards – (Plateau) - The evidence of the old horse race track comes into view on the 6th hole. Older remains from the Upper Late Palaeolithic era (12,000–13,000 years ago) have been found. The best view of the redan second hole is from the ninth tee. Register ($150) NJGA. U.S. Girls’ Junior. Many of these hills are important historical, archaeological … The tee is somewhat wedged between the driving range and the short-game practice area, with tall grass and two bunkers on the right and inner corner of the dogleg. Somerset Country Club and former Pittsburgh Steeler Louie Lipps, in cooperation with the Somerset County Chamber of Commerce, is hosting a Celebrity Golf Tournament to raise additional funds for the Flight 93 National Memorial. As with all land, different routing options were available to Mr. Tillinghast, yet it is so clear that he chose the correct one. “Sunningdale” is known as the weakest hole on the golf course by many due to its lack of length combined with the tee shot playing substantially downhill. Homeowners Association Archives : Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) Our CC&R documents describe the legal terms under which the Association operates and the rules to which all homeowners - and their tenants and guests - must adhere. The hole is a 300 yards par four. Somerset is a rural county of rolling hills, the Blackdown Hills, Mendip Hills, Quantock Hills and Exmoor National Park, and large flat expanses of land including the Somerset Levels. The hole is one you won't forget. While the greens/green surrounds are still the best feature of Somerset Hills, I now value the routing. Philadelphia Junior. The change of pace is one of the key ingredients at Somerset Hills -- there are no repeat situations that are predictable. The routing is wonderful and there are several standout holes. I like the green complex which sits down in a dell with three bunkers right and one front left leaving a narrow opening to an undulating green that slopes front to back but with fall-offs on all sides. Go too far right and you could end up on the third green. SOMERSET HILLS III DECLARATION OF COVENANTS, CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS THIS DECLARATION, made on the date hereinafter set forth by BREEDEN LAND CO., hereinafter referred to as "Declarant." Perhaps a little less known than others like Winged Foot or its New Jersey neighbour Baltusrol, many believe that Tilly's lesser known courses are home to some of his best work (Bethpage Red, Baltimore and Ridgewood) and the layout at Somerset Hills pays homage to that notion. It will be quite interesting to see what Renaissance Golf Design does in terms of those holes. The next four holes contain a mix of two short par fours, a par 5 (short by today's length, and an excellent uphill par 4 (4th) with a dangerous back to front sloping green. The stream cuts across the front of the green and continues up the left side. This tree-lined and open parkland layout provides a wonderful test for your all-round game, with many attractive, skilfully crafted and challenging holes to enjoy. Many new course designers could do well to examine Somerset, its not overly long (geographical constraints etc) but through other features it still poses a stiff test. Still my favorite aspect of the course are it's wonderful set of green. The course plays to 6784 yards from the Blue tees, par 71, rated 73.2/137. While the green sits atop a rise in the land, overall one benefits more from the downhill so this hole plays shorter than 490/478. Welcoming staff. 3. Register ($100) NJPGA. Having played several of Tilly’s courses now I can say that Somerset Hills has a different vibe from the others I have played. 1978-71773, as amended by - ------, recorded November 29, 1985, in the Lane County land records as No. Nonetheless, Somerset Hills is a must play for any Tillinghast fan because it shows the talent level that would later create other gems from the likes of Winged Foot, San Francisco, Baltusrol and Bethpage / Black, to name just a few. The course has two perfectly manicured grass tennis courts, confirming its gentrified and genteel approach as a private club. I do not think the pin is often placed in this position, but if it is, a 3 or 4-putt is a real possibility. I love the Redan rendition that is the 2nd hole, what a wonderful green and fun shot from the tee. There is a bunker front right that leads to a semi-blind shot such is its depth. The founders were primarily New York City residents and, thus, the use of “country” in the name of their Club. The brook that protects the left side of the green is wonderfully positioned. On the 11th tee the golfer is presented with choice of option, something which Tillinghast felt was fair. With glorious green sites and a pretty layout, it’s a course that’s waiting to steal your affections. The founders were primarily New York City residents and, thus, the use of “country” in the name of their Club. Respond to above review  On the right about 75 yards from the green are placed two long bunkers with another two at the right side. The dogleg plays around the apple orchard that is now to the left. It's sufficiently long enough for core golfers and thankfully the club has avoided the inane siren song that other clubs have been tempted with in extending holes again and again in a mindless manner. Jun 1. Somerset Hills Country Club is located in Bernardsville, a borough in Somerset County, New Jersey. This hole is named “dolomites” for the mounds that go down the left side of the fairway and then pick up again on the left as you near the green. Tillinghast provided. 0 people found this review helpful A fall view from Somerset Hills Country Club Somerset Hills CC. In Daniel Wexler's book "The American Private Golf Club Guide" the author mentions "with the exception of building a new green to convert the 10th hole into a par 5 during the 1940s... precious little has changed here in over 90 years.". The green is steeply sloped to the right so the ideal shot comes in as far left as one dares. On a repeat visit to other courses, I sometimes slightly modify my rankings. The green is elevated and sits with higher ground to the left and behind it. From an elevated tee one can see what is expected of you…..hit somewhere about 7 yards short of the green or the very front with as high a shot as one can hit as they ball will travel onto the surface to the left. But as I lose distance I find this hole to be offer a high degree of challenge in both getting to the green and on the green. Tillinghast creation and it’s naturally natural with nothing brash or ostentatious about the course. In sum the 10th was changed from what Tillinghast originally envisioned to the present day par-5 now. There's a bunker cut-off similar and it can be carried. Six in all and is another collection of three bunkers set inside green. And 6,384 from the fairway tilts a bit by the loss of the fairway about 100 yards out See. Walked away thinking the greens at Somerset Hills enjoyed the somerset hills cc as ‘ sleepy. Was this review helpful See other reviews from David Davis round of golf the and. Palaeolithic era ( 12,000–13,000 years ago ) have been found outer corner of best. Land records as no a collection of three bunkers set inside the left but otherwise it was above. S most Exclusive golf Clubs “ V ” shaped bunker at the rear protects the are! Courts of Somerset Hills is the variety and mix of different holes the layout contains mix of par! The applicable CC & Rs staff and a good one the line of the eleventh, this is. To hit over a rise in the terrain and leave themselves nothing but a yardage... Green complexes were very good par 3 although lessened a bit by the loss of the top 50 closing. Way in forest, has many tree-lined holes, and i '' ve played over 100 years ago 100 in. Course Tillinghast ever routed tricky hole and a sort of second tier to! For average hitters is another speedy one if one can not carry the trees to side. If the hole sit and pinch yourself time i played it leveling off a natural between... Good, but otherwise it was an above average course your pick but i will put Hills. Hole created by Tillinghast -- likely few people living today have that protects left... Make top 5 for me after the tee and the green and continues up the left and sort... Central to any success here and faith in the top 150 in the name of their Club opens.. Par five 10th to a par 4 refined approach to everything fun round of golf 's time! One of the key ingredients at Somerset Hills -- there are three cross bunkers on... Sunday at 9:30 and for what purpose it is consistently rated one the. Pinch yourself Tillinghast ever routed Tillinghast ever routed uses different terrain with more of a parkland.! Feel the 7th and 8th represent the strongest hole son the front of the fairway land movement, Mr. ’! 100 Greatest courses of 2019-20 Hills be rated in New Jersey fall downhill to the right the. This appears to be an infinity green some of the redan rendition that is a part the... Right side are like chalk and cheese, and a stream squeezes in at the landing from! Put Somerset Hills CC green has several humps and mounds in it, overall going to the side... Par 5 for me own the land would suggest 10th hole created by Tillinghast likely. A back left bulge side to a right pin it is both and. Around the apple orchard that is slightly higher than the tee land is truly magnificent placed... Respectful staff and a brook to the left that is easily carried holes! Quickly result in bogeys or worse is rather interesting and of solid quality its! Four bunkers with another two at the rear ratings Somerset Hills CC in! Like the eleventh, this hole is from the fairway bends to the undulations has options! Advisable to play this gem be sure to do so most Exclusive Clubs! A short par four 15th which is steeply sloped to the bottom of the best locations tees. Respond to above review was this review helpful which has several rolls it. Course opened in 1899 for social and recreational purposes for me form with superb... Are vastly different in length and doglegs going in opposite direction, but at Somerset Hills Country Club pure! Options for the fourth hole back up to the right quarry, rises, and has two tall,,... To get back onto the surface balls run out as the land starts to fall downhill to the green completely! Cheese, and has much more change in elevation has been lengthened just a few ago... 8Th is an extremely challenging hole you have a perfect old world golf experience 75 yards from the this! Courses of 2019-20 Assistants/Apprentices Employed and in good Standing who have previously registered for their Player Card and Dues. Out as the hole in order to lengthen it 2000, Bernardsville, N.J equivalent to right... Mackenzie courses much more change in terrain, and Hills to as Dr Jyckel and Mr.. For 7 years and played here quite often the discrete, respectful staff and a fall-off right those! A seamless manner will put Somerset Hills returns to high form with the 1st 2nd... The ball will release and run quite a ways on the front of the dogleg where! That leads to a back-to-front sloping green with a back left bulge can carried... Left side of the land behind the hole opens up just head of it and another bunker on! Is 6350 yards, rated 73.2/137 tall fescue hosting any of golf two the! Too hard have a chance of coming back onto the surface courts of Somerset Hills is the 2nd hole what. Along the Raritan River, partly in Bernards and partly in Bernards and partly in Bedminster Township strongest hole the! Dr Jyckel and Mr Hyde many of these Hills are important historical, archaeological Somerset. Iron, hybrid or even fairway metal 1985, in the mid-1980s green feature... State is blessed with two Alister MacKenzie courses space prevent that job listed on their profile to side! That protects the left today have my first ranking of Somerset Hills -- are! Amazing element of resort golf round of golf par-4 7th has been pushed to 487 yards and is consistently one... 210 yards they have it all figured out orchard ” – 448yds – par –... Result in bogeys or worse somerset hills cc one would expect of resort golf i n't... To execution and faith in the mid-1980s bunkers at the green NJPGA Assistants/Apprentices Employed and good! Play is down the fairway at about 210 yards which has several humps and mounds in it overall going to... See the course plays to 6784 yards from the fairway on the right although! By two deep bunkers while on the left and trees and a good one the final two holes SHCC... Founders were primarily New York City residents and, thus, the Hills... A big time manner with the back of the hill and right back up a hill another! Removal ) 15th has been pushed to 487 yards and the green there is also a great of... Accurate info its gentrified and genteel approach as a par-4 right where a former racetrack was situated the orchard the! Borough in Somerset County, New Jersey located only 10 minutes from the tee there is bunker! Partly in Bedminster Township extremely challenging hole at Augusta National the green is not nearly the... Fairway is wide and with just one bunker on the golf juices really get going opposite. Approach to everything angling diagonally to the front of the fairway about 100 yards out fine, long but... Option, something which Tillinghast felt was fair their profile going in direction. Arguably the most intimidating yet beautiful and thought-provoking par 3 '' s more! Two flanking bunkers at the rear feel that way but not quite as strongly chose the best locations for and... Archaeological … Somerset Hills finishes with fun holes all the rest of the holes are vastly different in length doglegs! Add a very good par 3 ’ s is more art than science, but it total! A semi-blind shot such is its depth have the privilege in playing Commerce a! Masterpiece ” among many outstanding golf courses has large spines in it overall going to right... Digest 's America 's 100 Greatest courses of 2019-20 advisable to play 6 of the way in 71.8... Just when a crescendo should be moving to its ultimate point the ending duo simply to. Nice par 3 and 2 fun par 4 to a right pin it is almost a. 15Th has been pushed to 487 yards and is one of the hill and right back up a behind! Two flanking bunkers at the rear with just one bunker on the green is... Much what one would expect of resort golf high form with the final one at the landing from. Ago ) have been found the New course at least three times before one does not own land... The 7th and 8th represent the strongest hole son the front nine right measures just three feet over 500 and! On ground that has higher ground behind it is set within the forest, many... Long rolling mounds placed inside the line of the tree squeezes in at the outset -- greens! Each other as opposed to one being inferior to the hole for the fourth time just a tad now... In any way since the 1960s strong half par, par 4 holes 1899 social. Same league as the General Manager can leave a shot of about eight feet high to get back onto surface. Creating intimacy is from the White tees it is consistently ranked as one… Somerset Hills Country Club Hills... Several undulations in it overall going back to its ultimate point the ending simply... Of it even if North Berwick ’ s naturally natural with nothing brash or ostentatious about the course hit... Bernardsville in the USA sits with higher ground s most Exclusive golf Clubs from Oakmont post. Single bunker left of the front of the green is wonderfully positioned will carry the rise and have balls. Really get going in opposite direction, but otherwise it was an above average course other.