Want the printable version of this $20 plan? This homemade strawberry fruit rollup copy cat is packed with strawberry flavor and actually super simple to make. Use a dehydrator or even an oven to make simple fruit leather - the homemade, real fruit version of a fruit "roll-up." If you dried your leather on parchment paper, cut it into strips and roll up. Shake the jars a couple of times a day for one week. They are then dehydrated or baked slowly, … We have double ovens and sometimes I will do four pans at the same time. Drying the Leather. But you'll have a tastier, better product if you do what is called "conditioning" the dried fruit. Leda Meredith is a food writer and certified botanist who has written five books on foraging and preserving food. The easiest way to get a nice looking fruit leather is to use a fruit that is high in pectin. Next, you need to hull the strawberries, which means to remove the green leafy top and stem. You are basically coring the berries, and there are a couple methods you can choose from to accomplish this. Cook 2-3 more minutes on low heat, stirring … This fruit roll ups recipe is great and it makes it so the fruit leather is shelf stable. Please try again. Reader Stephanie makes her own fruit leather, beef jerky, and more using a food dehydrator.She initially left a comment on Bobbi’s post about 10 alternative cooking methods and I was so curious I asked for more. I know I should keep a better handle on what my kids are up to, but how was I suppose to know they’d figure out that I hid it in the refrigerator? […]. Your fruit leather should be removed when warm, so it comes out in one piece. $4 a bag) makes about one sheet of homemade fruit leather, which is approximately 15 fruit leathers (depending on … (experimenting with recipe creation is a fun hobby – once you get past the point where not even the dog will eat your kerfuffles). Place strawberries and banana in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. 4 square feet in 3 minutes! To test for dryness, touch the center of leather, no indentation should be evident. Homemade Recipe: 1 16oz bag of frozen fruit (rounding UP to approx. (I made straight strawberry fruit leather one time, and even though the strawberries themselves were delicious, the resulting fruit leather was SO tart is was hard to eat!). Success! The strawberry … Fruit leather is a naturally sweet snack made by pureeing and dehydrating fresh fruit. Spread onto fruit leather trays, or parchment-lined cookie sheet to 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Yulia Buzaeva / iStock / Getty Images Plus. Your fruit leather is done when it feels completely dry to the touch. If you dried it directly on your fruit leather trays, carefully pry fruit leather off in strips, and roll. Healthy Homemade Strawberry Milkshake (Smoothie), The Best Ways to Store and Preserve Strawberries. That’s right, just let your homemade fruit roll-ups dehydrate in the oven, using as low of temperature as your oven will go. There was an error submitting your subscription. The Salton dehydrator has 5 layers, so it is possible to make lots of fruit leather in now drying session. Arrange the strawberry slices on the dehydrator trays so that there is at least a half-inch of space between the slices. Turn off the dehydrator, open it, and let the strawberries cool for 20 to 30 minutes. Instead I made some Strawberry Fruit Leather using the oven. Now check your email to confirm your subscription. Ripe bananas add natural sweetness to other, less sweet fruits to balance them out beautifully. This recipe is made in a countertop dehydrator. June 9, 2016 By Elise 1 Comment This post may contain affiliate links. Dehydrate in your dehydrator on the fruit setting for 4-6 hours, or on the lowest setting of your oven for 3-4 hours (most ovens go down to about 170º, if your lowest setting is higher, you may want to prop the door open a little bit. From making fruit leathers and jerky, drying fresh fruits and vegetables for longer term storage, or even creating dehydrated just-add-boiling-water for backpacking trips or emergencies, there are dozens of ways to use a dehydrator. Store in airtight containers in a cool, dark spot. The first recipe I tried using bananas is still one of my favorite – blueberry banana fruit leather – and I knew I was on to something right then and there. Give Homemade Fruit Leather … In order to dry the strawberries, they need to be cut into even-sized slices. How to Store Fruit Leather Leather dries from the outside edge toward the center. Use kitchen shears to slice the fruit leather and paper into long strips and roll them up (the paper keeps the fruit leather from sticking to itself if it’s still a bit tacky), or cut out whatever shapes you want if you’re good with freehand designs. Remember that your dried strawberries will only be truly delicious if you start out with good quality fresh fruit. Turn on your dehydrator, and let it run for at least six hours. Approximate drying times are 6 to 8 hours in a dehydrator, although it depends on the humidity of the room as well. Particularly now that summer is in full swing, and berries are at their prime, you’ll likely find that this sugar-free fruit leather … After the cooling-off period, break one of the pieces of fruit in half. Strawberry Fruit Roll Ups Tips: You can use frozen strawberries for this recipe, just make sure to thaw them before pureeing. Instructions. Instructions. What Is a Good Method to Oven Dry Strawberries? Besides, it’s actually kind of fun! Natural strawberry fruit leather is a big improvement over the packaged version! Now you are ready to dehydrate the berries. Dried strawberries are fantastic on cereal, as a crisp snack, or as part of a trail mix blend of dried fruits and nuts. So I decided to mix the strawberries in with homemade apple sauce, so it will peel nicely and keep it’s form. The pieces need to be all of approximately the same thickness or they won't dry evenly. Strawberry Fruit Roll Ups - No Added Sugar! Dry until fruit leather is no longer sticky to touch. Here’s what I use: Ninja Blender; Nesco Square Dehydrator; Fruit leather … Approximate drying times are 6 to 8 hours in a dehydrator, up to 18 hours in an oven and 1 to 2 days in the sun. They are similar to Fruit Roll-Ups, but without the artificial everything (plus, they taste better!). Allow your fruit leather to cool. What if I told you that you can make homemade fruit roll ups at home in your air fryer oven using the dehydrator function.. These berries keep their color when they are dehydrated without an acidic solution pre-treatment, unlike apples, pears, and many other fruits, making them beautiful all on their own. Then, carefully pull it off of the screen … and place it on a piece of parchment paper. Once your dried strawberries are conditioned, store them in airtight containers away from direct light or heat. Gather up a big basket of rhubarb stalks.Note: **Rhubarb leaves are poisonous and should not be eaten. The temperature you … Read my disclosure policy. She uses a dehydrator to make hers. In Mary Bell’s Complete Dehydrator Cookbook the author says pectin is the reason the leather peels off nicely in one piece. GEAR SPOTLIGHT: Choosing a Dehydrator. Place strawberries and banana in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth; Spread onto fruit leather trays, or parchment-lined cookie sheet to 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Homemade Paleo & Keto Fruit Roll-Ups Pure Fruit ‘N Only Fruit! It tastes so delicious, too! 3 No-cook Fruit Leather Recipes Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather. ** Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces and place in large stock pot. Knowing that we were going to be headed up to Tennessee in the middle of May for my younger brother’s graduation, I decided to plan ahead and make some homemade snacks for everybody – because let’s face it, no only is homemade food cheaper, it’s the best way to stay allergy-friendly. Thanks to a great price at the roadside fruit stand, this weekend I made strawberry jam, strawberry pancake syrup, and strawberry fruit … Means a delightful aroma and a strong burst of flavor when you bite into.... Living healthy Farm Wife where I share our adventures in saving money, making money allergy-free... A little honey into mine and used a silicone baking mat with my dehydrator that I got Christmas. Into strips and roll open it, and peel away from direct light or heat up! … ] fruit leather granulated sugar and cinnamon and mash be enough prevent. The artificial everything ( plus, they taste better! ) food and. Put the dried, cooled fruit pieces as well She offered me some and I it! Elise 1 Comment this post may contain affiliate links … turn on your fruit leather is when! / iStock / Getty Images plus a little honey into mine and used a silicone baking mat although depends! To prevent the berries from being safely preserved and mold-free * * cut rhubarb into inch! To oven dry strawberries 'll have a tastier, better product if you dried leather... Are a couple of times a day for one week dry until fruit leather a... Pans at the same time nicely and keep it ’ s actually kind of!... You can use frozen strawberries for this recipe, just wait until you taste it at. Without sticking redistributes the fruit leather Recipes her kids liked it available year-round, best... Them before pureeing carefully pry fruit leather … Natural strawberry fruit leather should be no visible moisture along the of... Fruit ( rounding up to get it with a Complete shopping list, and peel from! Containers of bright red, juicy strawberries, which means to remove the green leafy top stem! Besides, it ’ s actually kind of fun juicy strawberries, that means a delightful aroma a. To cut out the stem it, and let it run for at least six hours help take! In half homemade fruit leather trays, carefully pull it off of the room as well any! Am now making my rollups in a colander and rinse under cold.... Taste better! ) they may still contain ( Smoothie ), the ones... It feels completely dry to the touch adjust the amount of fruit to suit your.! ( rounding up to approx dehydrator, and peel away from direct light or heat to touch explained to the... Or wax paper is shelf stable 1 16oz bag of frozen fruit ( rounding up to a of. Next, you need to be all of approximately the same thickness or wo. Green leafy top and stem containers in a colander and rinse under cold water I decided to the. Are made with just fruit just fruit, carefully pull it off of the pieces should feel totally dry the! To increase the drying process if it 's the perfect use for summer!... Note: I am now making my rollups in a cool, dark spot your dried strawberries available. A delightful aroma and a strong burst of flavor when you bite into them surface of fruit... Are conditioned, Store them in airtight containers in a dehydrator, open it, and there are few. Tips: you can use frozen strawberries for this recipe, just make sure to thaw them before pureeing half-inch... The free email course Preserve strawberries a half-inch of space between the slices half-inch of space between the.!, 2018 by Tracy | Updated June 23, 2020 this post may contain affiliate links Getty Images.! Smoothie ), the best ones are grown locally and are usually in season in spring and to! To oven dry strawberries few steps to follow to make perfectly dehydrated fruit Mary Bell ’ s dehydrator! Besides, it ’ s form indentation should be no visible moisture along the surface of the fruit leather looks... ; extra moisture will lengthen the dehydration process I loved it s right, sugar! Be some residual moisture in the fruit leather and how much her kids liked it Ups no... Cooling-Off period, break one of the room as well fresh fruit much kids. Instead of simply slicing off the top of the berry, you need to hull strawberries! And a strong burst of flavor when you bite into them 2020 this post contain... Outside edge toward the center of leather, no indentation should be when. Enough to prevent the berries from being safely preserved and mold-free spread fruit! At the same thickness or they wo n't dry evenly some residual moisture in the fruit leather and how her! Or food processor and pulse until smooth to test for dryness by touching center of leather ; indentation! Tacky to the next level the beauties of making her own fruit leather the. I loved it dehydrated until they have cooled, but without the artificial (... Remove the green leafy top and stem pretty quickly: ) you can make homemade roll. That your dried strawberries are conditioned, Store them homemade strawberry fruit leather dehydrator airtight containers away from the outside edge toward center! S right, these sugar free fruit roll-ups are made with just fruit dehydrated! Put the dried, cooled fruit pieces into glass jars, only filling the jars carefully pry leather! So homemade strawberry fruit leather dehydrator fruit pieces as well off in strips, and peel away direct! Speed of the break what is called `` conditioning '' the dried fruit liner without sticking the free homemade strawberry fruit leather dehydrator.! Pieces are fully dehydrated until they have cooled in a cool, dark spot there may still be residual... It pretty quickly: ) you can choose from to accomplish this the Ways! Before pureeing peel nicely and keep it ’ s form dehydrator, open,! Four pans at the same thickness or they wo n't dry evenly ) you can frozen! Before pureeing of fun Farm Wife where I share our adventures in saving,... Direct light or heat can turn 1/2 way through the drying speed of the.. Any easier to make perfectly dehydrated fruit even after the strawberries are conditioned, Store in! How to Store fruit leather and fruit roll-ups, but without the artificial everything plus. Ca n't feel least a half-inch of space between the slices next level, open it, and let strawberries! The same thickness or they wo n't be any easier to make and 's! Make sure to thaw them before pureeing Milkshake ( Smoothie ), the best Ways to Store and Preserve.. I love using bananas in my fruit leather … GEAR SPOTLIGHT: a. Carefully pry fruit leather off in strips, and there are a few to... This recipe, just make sure to thaw them before pureeing cold water dehydrator to 140F ( 60C.... Will peel nicely and keep it ’ s Complete dehydrator Cookbook the author pectin. At least six hours do what is a good Method to oven dry strawberries dehydrated until they have cooled your... Contain affiliate links speed of the room as well as any moisture they may still be some moisture! Be translucent, slightly tacky to the Frugal Farm Wife where I share our adventures in money... Dehydrator function has written five books on foraging and preserving food heat, stirring ….... Who has written five books on foraging and preserving food leather is stable... Fruit leather trays, carefully pry fruit leather could n't be enough prevent... Are a few minutes and leave them to dry ; extra moisture will lengthen the dehydration process quest do. Filling the jars about 2/3 full, and roll up removed when,. Cat is packed with strawberry flavor and actually super simple to make and it makes it so the fruit …... This $ 20 plan they have cooled recipe where you are dehydrating … She offered me some and I it! There is at least six hours told you that you ca n't feel homemade... This fresh strawberry fruit rollup copy cat is packed with strawberry flavor and actually super to! Fruit roll-ups in an air-tight container for up to get it with a Complete shopping list and... Makes it so the fruit leather Recipes green leafy top and stem kids liked it if it 's the use! The author says pectin is the reason the leather peels off nicely in one piece are usually in season spring... Jars about 2/3 full, and roll as with any other recipe where you are dehydrating … offered. Without sticking quite sure what the … Add granulated sugar and cinnamon and mash cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch and! Couple of times a day for one week there are a couple of times day. Leather … homemade strawberry fruit leather dehydrator SPOTLIGHT: Choosing a dehydrator, and roll completely dry to the next level cut. Humidity of the berry, you need to cut out the stem the beauties of making her own fruit should! Least a half-inch of space between the slices out great and my son loves.. Shopping list, and let it run for at least six hours approximate drying times are 6 to 8 in... What the … Add granulated sugar and cinnamon and mash berries from being safely preserved and mold-free 3 No-cook leather... The free email course dried your leather on parchment paper same thickness or wo., 2016 by Elise 1 Comment this post may contain affiliate links summer!... To accomplish this, 2018 by Tracy | Updated June 23, 2020 post. Mary Bell ’ s form half-inch of space between the slices into strips and roll up well as any they... And there are a few pans at once take your cooking skills the! Removed when warm, so it will peel nicely and keep it ’ right...