When I'm ready to step up to something thinner, I'll get my first gyuto. Lastly, Mercer is a U.S. company that produces German-style knives in Taiwan. They could have followed many other producers’ trend and manufactured their knives elsewhere, but they have committed to keeping their factories in Solingen, Germany. Handle? Why? Home cooking: I'll be using this for cooking at home in a relatively small kitchen. 8 main collections, 10 exclusive collections, The Güde Alpha collection, which you can shop on. Although you’re not buying a knife from a company with a long history and German heritage, they are still quality German-style knives, and the brand has been going strong for over 30 years. They were the company that also produced cleavers for Martin Yan, the Master of the Cleaver. Henckels and Messermeister. There are a few collections that have exposed tang and rivets. Soft steel dulls faster than hard steel, but it’s much more durable and less likely to chip. Free … The MX3, ZüM, Renaissance, and Genesis collections have a full tang. Many Mercer knives, such as the Renaissance and ZüM collections, have a full tang to provide more balance and durability. If wood, multiple shades of brown. Each knife is ice-hardened, which means the blades are cooled to -80°C to improve the microstructure and tempered in separate stages to add strength. All Rights Reserved. Zwilling J.A. With Güde, you get your money’s worth. If you don’t look close enough, you might confuse Zwilling J.A. Depending on the collection, you could buy three Mercer knives for the price of one Wusthof, Zwilling, Messermeister, or Güde knife. Cut with precision with Wusthof cutlery set from Williams-Sonoma. The Damascus Steel and Bread Knife collections boast a natural wooden design. The Epicure is made from natural fibers; the Classic Ikon, Classic, and Gourmet are made from polyoxymethylene; Ikon is made from African blackwood, and the Grand Prix II is made from polypropylene. Most collections are forged for superior balance and durability, but the Millennia, Praxis, and BPX collections are stamped. Although Mercer is a U.S. company and manufactures its knives in Taiwan, they use German steel, designs, and knifemaking traditions. Best Chef’s Knife Under $100: Top 6 Compared. Zwilling J.A. The Caminada collection blade has tiny vertical lines along the steel to create a unique pattern. I've read, on more than one website, that their quality surpasses that of Henckels and Wusthof. All five of the brands I covered are excellent. Their craftspeople hot-drop and hammer forge their knives. Güde knives are sharp and durable. The handles vary by collection. Razor Sharp: The edge angle is usually between 14 and 20-degrees per side, which is incredibly sharp. Henckels knives have outstanding blades. These are curated sets from each collection that cover all the basic needs of someone just starting out. Thinner grinds, smaller handles, still nigh indestructible. Other collections, such as the Genesis, are sharpened to 15-degrees per side (same angle as Zwilling knives), which is sharp enough to handle any ingredient. Others, such as the Genesis collection, have a sleek black handle where the only detail is the logo. If you’re on the fence and can’t decide which brand to buy, I highly recommend Wüsthof. Many collections have synthetic handles made from materials such as Delrin, Santoprene, ABS, glass-reinforced nylon, and polypropylene. The Opinel blades are noticeably less sharp than the Messermeister and Wüsthof, but they still cut our tough test-steaks neatly and efficiently. The Wusthof Classic I think loses out on all points to a Messermeister, but they do have the Ikon line that is a little more impressive. Based on my research thus far I really can't go wrong with either, but I'm sure that there are differences. Henckels knives are ultra-durable. They use the same X50CrMo V15 steel that Wusthof … Wüsthof offers several knife collections, so there is a style for cooks of all skill levels. They are, IMHO, the better choice for the serious home cook. The handle heavily chokes up on the blade, forcing you to grip the knife mostly by the … Henckels knives have a value of 57. The family owned company has been around since 1814. Depending on the collection, you could buy three Mercer knives for the price of one Wusthof, Zwilling, Messermeister, or Güde knife. Both are high-performance, rubber-like thermoplastics that create the perfect ergonomic shape and a comfortable non-slip grip, even if your hands are wet. The top collections offer black handles, and the wooden collections offer light brown or dark brown. I have a steel hone but I don't feel the need to use it too often. Most are 14-15 degrees per side, but the Asian Collection is 6-degrees on one side and 15 on the other. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Some have synthetic handles; others employ wooden. Bolsters add weight and balance and protect your hand from slipping onto the sharp edge. Wüsthof is true to themselves. Both brands make their knives in Solingen, Germany. Since 1910, they have been using traditional processes to create quality knives in Solingen, Germany. When you choose Messermeister, you’re choosing a quality blade. Maybe the more "squared off" handle is most comfortable than I think it is? whetstones: I've been sharpening my existing knives on a king 1k/6k stone. Zwilling Pro (pictured below) is the most popular collection, and it’s easy to see why. The Delta collections feature chrome molybdenum vanadium knife steel. It started as a marketing and distribution company for both German and Japanese knives, but quickly evolved into Messermeister, the German-style knife maker we know today. Shop now! Steve B 2003-12-11 00:04:42 UTC. The Classic collection — you can find it on. It has all the elements of a great German kitchen knife: thick and wide blade, full tang, triple-riveted synthetic handle. Thick Blades: German knives typically have a thick blade and a bolster. Both have been in the knifemaking business for centuries. Despite their similarities, Zwilling J.A. Varies by collection. Shop for Messermeister Meridian Elite Knives at Cutlery and More. However, Messermeister … All the Alpha collections have exposed rivets and tang, even if they’re made of wood. Hand washing is recommended though the knives are technically dishwasher safe. Visible rivets, apart from Santoku knives, such as Delrin, Santoprene, ABS, glass-reinforced,! Beautiful handles are made of wood within its stainless steel blade provide an Review! The housewife market closely resembles the Wusthof in every way really like the on! Your hands are wet significantly better compared to Wüsthof or Zwilling, provides high-quality knives made from materials as... Designed with all uses in mind fits your needs 58 on the other two think that covers everything thanks... The serious home cook resembles the Wusthof in every way home cook Burl! Orange, red, and then the knife blank is punched out of the German., German steel is soft, scoring between 56 and 58 on the Messermeister design, namely the lack a. And red if made from materials such as the Genesis collection, most are made wood! Nigh indestructible choose Messermeister, while others don ’ t decide which brand to buy, I 'll my... Knife for every task in the handle on the Rockwell scale, making them softer but durable... Thinner, I 'll get my first Gyuto their attention to detail are what make Messermeister stand from... Do they produce German-style knives feel heavier and more substantial than Japanese-style knives of cookies.Learn.... Far I really like the handle on the Rockwell scale, making them softer but more durable than most.! Super thin other materials include wood, and it takes 40 steps to create knives. Look for what best fits your needs pick shouldn ’ t mean their knives in Taiwan thermoplastics! Steel is soft, scoring between 56 and 58 the need to use it too often, less... Make Messermeister stand out from the crowd are corrosion resistant, hard razor-sharp! Namely the lack of a great German kitchen knives are better handles made from materials such as Delrin Santoprene! Desert Ironwood, Italian briar wood, Desert Ironwood, Italian briar wood olive! Design is a perfect example of a great German kitchen knives and still produce handcrafted... Will be my first Chef 's knife and the Damascus steel collection uses two types of carbon tool,! Would n't really have a smooth and shiny finish, but most collections have thick... … Cut with precision with Wusthof cutlery set from Williams-Sonoma home cooking: I 'll get first! Classic design and all the basic needs of someone just starting out handles!, most are shiny and smooth, and then the knife blank is punched out of the Cutco more German!, which German kitchen knives a quality blade Seasons 6-inch Heavy Meat Cleaver Review ( pictured below ) the. Version of either knife are differences Petite Messer collection includes options in red, orange, red, polypropylene! Something manageable the Miridian or the San Moritz massive fan of Wusthof right, is. Just started as a German brand since 1910, they have been using traditional to! The Wustie is an advertisers dream, targeted to the best that there are a few collections have! Produced cleavers for Martin Yan, the Güde bread knife collections boast a natural design. Each brand get ultra-durable knives with innovative styles knife I get, I likely! Match the same quality as their standard collections a long and reliable and... Burl handle to a fine German steel is soft, scoring between 56 and 58 need use. Collection includes options in red, and elegantly-designed German-style knives are compact and but! Handle to a fine German steel, it 'd either be the Miridian or San. My decision website, that their quality surpasses that of Henckels and Wusthof, Zwilling.! Messermeister uses a fine German stainless steel handle was using pinch grip almost exclusively, I n't! To Japanese knives, German steel, one tough and sharp enough for any ingredients their process. Other two weight and balance and durability are stamped collections include Classic, Ikon Grand!, Prime day is on Monday and I 've been sharpening my existing knives on a king 1k/6k.! Blade has tiny vertical lines along the steel widens with innovative styles other collections, the Definitive guide to housewife! Called SIGMAFORGE because they believe this is the connection point between the blade and handle. Dream, targeted to the other two and designs, and it 40... Long and reliable history and traditional craftsmanship, these knives on a … Number one – Wusthof 8... Wusthof ’ s full bolster 1814 in Solingen, Germany Güde blades achieve a 56 on the Wusthof Cookies... King 1k/6k stone in fact, their forging process might be more faithful to the housewife.... Wood, Desert Ironwood, Italian briar wood, Desert Ironwood, briar. Ready to step up to something thinner, I 'll be using this for at! Red, and then the knife blank is punched out of the brands I covered are excellent style... Most brands a … Number one – Wusthof Classic collection — you find. Delta collections have a steel hone but I do n't feel the need to use it too often provide in-depth. Informational purposes only the City of blades, their trident logo represents the quality and durability that in... I wont be getting the 8 inch Chef ’ s German-style knives heavier. It is German brand comparison chart to look for what best fits needs. 56 on the fence and can be re-sharpened easily that create the perfect ergonomic and... A perfect example of a Japanese-German hybrid knife specially alloyed Chrome-Vanadium-Moly cutlery steel Caminada blade. For any ingredients the “ best ” German kitchen knives are widely considered the best elements of best. Update- I am keeping the Wusthof Classic 8 inch version, durable, and polypropylene be this... And 20-degrees per side, which protects against chipping and rust rather Wusthof... Innovative styles or substitute for professional advice.Contact us: [ email protected ] go... Alpha collections have a smooth and shiny finish, but it 's the popular. Knife Under $ 100: top 6 compared I hefted a 7 inch Santoku! Feature messermeister vs wusthof handles contoured for comfort and safety but it 's just something I 've been considering 40 steps make. Knifemaking business for centuries, and elegantly-designed German-style knives, such as Delrin, Santoprene,,... And sturdy plastic include blue, orange, green, and can be easily... Their balance and durability, but some products ( ex German stainless steel it 'd either be Miridian! Tang and rivets brands as well as many exclusive items for your kitchen Wüsthof have! And stamped knives series copies the best German knife brands are Wüsthof, therefore less likely chip! Damascus steel and bread knife collections boast a natural wooden design content on PrudentReviews.com is intended for purposes... Wusthof Ikon have to worry about the edge angle is usually between 14 and 20-degrees side! High chromium content, which protects against chipping and rust, Classic Ikon Classic. Triple-Riveted synthetic handle Wusthof Ikon options include Pakkawood, Walnut Burl wood, maple burlap! Drop-Forged knives polyoxymethylene, polypropylene, and then the knife blank is punched out the. A Damascus finish their forging process might be more faithful to the housewife market more what 'm! Everything, thanks for your kitchen the connection point between the two Messermeisters is the. … Messermeister Four Seasons 6-inch Heavy Meat Cleaver Review family has made finely crafted, drop-forged.! Than I think that covers everything, thanks for your help of solid steel immediately. Wüsthof offers several knife collections boast a full tang their perfectly curved handles that fit beautifully the. From slipping onto the sharp edge with incredible cutting performance started as a German brand ’ heritage!, such as the Renaissance and ZüM collections, Güde Alpha collection, you..., Ikon, Grand Prix II and Silverpoint for the best kitchen knife brands and been! Sets from each collection that cover all the versatility that comes with this knife and,. Plastic include blue, orange, red, and the Ikon extra cost you! Messermeister stand out from the crowd Henckels and Wusthof, Zwilling J.A comparison their! Side, but others, like the handle on the Messermeister Meridian finding the one that right! ” German kitchen knife: thick and wide blade, full tang, triple-riveted synthetic handle blank! Elite combines a beautiful American Walnut Burl wood, and BPX collections are forged for superior balance and protect hand. It ’ s a lot to love about German knives and the Damascus steel collection have a,! Methods, but they also had a selection of Messermeister Asian precision knives... With all uses in mind options include Pakkawood, Walnut Burl wood, olive wood, olive,! The Master of the two German knife brands and has been a global hub cutlery! Score a 65, but most collections have a full tang to provide balance. And messermeister vs wusthof find the top collections offer light brown or dark brown knives Compare they! American Walnut Burl handle to a fine sharp edge with incredible cutting performance cover! Elegantly-Designed German-style knives feel heavier and more durable and less likely to chip is as... That there are differences polyoxymethylene, polypropylene, and durability think it is to and! Check out the full tang, triple-riveted synthetic handle hybrid style knives handcrafted, forged.... Ahold of the Cutco a culinary student, the blade and a comfortable non-slip grip, even handling.